4 Reasons Why Black People Should Stop Daniel Fasting And Make It A Way of Life
1. We are susceptible to death and are dying because of our eating habits.
- According to The CDC in 2009 the leading cause of death for African is Heart Disease. Cancer ranks at 2, Strokes 3, Diabetes 5.
- The number of black ambulatory care visits (to physician offices, hospital outpatient and emergency departments) with hypertension as primary diagnosis: 46.3 million
- The Percentage of black non-institutionalized adults ages 20 and over with hypertension: 31.9% (2009-2010)
- The Percent of black nursing home residents with hypertension: 53.0%
2. Nowhere in the text does it state that Daniel went to eating the rich/privileged/kings food. In fact all of the youth being measured by the chief eunuch were given vegetables and water to drink after Daniel, Hanani’ah, Mish’a-el and Azari’ah were seen to be stronger and in better shape than those who ate meat and drank wine.
Daniel 1 states 15 At the end of ten days it was seen that they were better in appearance and fatter in flesh than all the youths who ate the king’s rich food. 16 So the steward took away their rich food and the wine they were to drink, and gave them vegetables.
3. Healthy eating habits will enable you to have a clear mind and do miraculous things
Daniel 1 17 states: As for these four youths, God gave them learning and skill in all letters and wisdom; and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.
Even if you are a non-Christian studies show that eating habits are linked to learning:
4. Number 3 really works
I’m a pescetarian, meaning I’m close to a vegetarian, and I think my eating habits are okay but in the Fall semester of 2012, I embarked on something that changed my life as it relates to health. I decided to juice one week to see what all of the buzz was about. The juice I made had me so buzzed I was waking up at 5:30 AM every day for a week, which is roughly about an hour before my alarm actually goes off, and to top it off I was going to bed between 11:30 PM and 12 AM each night. I suspect it wasn’t the juice alone as I also decided to drink more water and might have had spinach in some shape or form most of the week. Not only was I energetic, I was more aware. I cannot remember a time when my mind felt so refreshed. Oh, and since I’ve been juicing I have been using my reading glasses less.
The Black Church Needs To Promote a Daniel Lifestyle Not a Daniel Fast